Sunday, July 24, 2011

Why I Read Comics, and Two Recommendations

When I was little I read comics like Donald Duck and Little Lulu but when I was ten I got my first library card and started reading books without pictures.

I came back to comics when the Watchmen series came out.   I continue to order a few comic books every month because I find there a unique blend of art and narrative.  For example, the book The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle is different from the animation of the story, and the graphic novel is different from either.

I was going to give you a list of my favorite comics over the years but it would take too long. Here are two recent ones you might enjoy:

Level Up and other comics by Gene Luen Yang
Yets!(several volumes)  by Mike Bocianowski.

You can find comic books hidden behind the category "graphic novels" at your favorite bookstore.

No comments:

Post a Comment